Time to switch it up a bit and move to some heartier dishes! I haven’t posted in a few days because of meal deliveries and a gig. Great fun!
So, today’s recipe involves probably the best food you can put into your mouth: salmon. It has the best of the best including high omega 3s, low calories, high protein…it’s just amazing! And we’re going to pair it with several other tasty health foods: lentils and kefir. (Remember kefir on the probiotics list?) It’s a more nutrient-powered form of yogurt. (You can buy it in a drinkable form, too.) It has a slightly thinner consistency than the yogurt we are used to, and a wonderful tangy, almost lime-y flavor. Let me tell you what it does for salmon…wow!
To make this recipe for 2 people, you will need:
- two 3-4-oz. salmon filets, baked 375 for about 10 minutes), cooled, and flaked
- 1 cup (dry) black lentils (or other color!), pre-cooked (about 30-35 min.)
- 1 cup thinly sliced English or Persian cucumber
- 1/2 cup very thinly shaved fennel or 1 TBL. chopped red onion (or both!)
- 1 TBL olive oil
For the Kefir sauce:
- 5-6 TBL. kefir yogurt
- 1/2 TBL honey if you think the kefir is too sharp
- fresh chives, snipped
- fresh dill or fennel fronds, snipped
- flat-leafed parsley
- 1 large clove garlic, grated
- black pepper and kosher salt to taste
Stir together the kefir sauce ingredients and let stand.
Stir the oil, fennel or red onion, and a little salt into the cooked lentils and place into the bottom of your 2 bowls.
Top the lentils with the cucumber slices, then the salmon.
Drizzle the salmon with the kefir sauce and enjoy this healthy bowl warm or at room temp!
CHEERS to your health!!