Today I’m working with a recipe I made for clients last week. I try to do healthy dishes for those who will have them!!!
This is a bright, colorful dish with lots of healthy going on. (Don’t cut off the stalks on the broccoli! The great fiber in there is something your “good bugs” crave!)
And the recipe’s fast: 30 min.
For 2 people, you will need:
- about 3/4 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs (or about 4 medium), cut into 1-inch pieces (I kept mine whole and it took about 10 minutes longer to realize the dish)
- 1 tsp. curry powder (or more if you crave the taste!)
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- a couple of shakes of cayenne pepper
- 1 TBL. olive oil
- 1 medium head of broccoli cut into florets (remember to save the stalks!)
- 1/2 cup of vertically sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup each of red and yellow bell peppers, seeded and cut into strips
- 1 or 2 garlic cloves, minced (amount depends on your taste)
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 TBL, fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp. soy sauce
- 1 cup cooked brown rice (I used a black barley-brown rice blend from Wegman’s)
Pre-cook the rice according to the package directions while you are preparing the other ingredients.
Toss together the chicken, curry powder, salt, and cayenne in a bowl.
In a nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium-high. Add the chicken and cook through for about 6 minutes. With tongs, transfer the chicken to a bowl.
To the skillet, add the broccoli, onions, peppers and garlic. Cook and stir constantly for 2 minutes.
Add chicken stock; cover and cook until broccoli is crisp-tender, about 4 minutes–keep it green!
Add chicken, lime juice, and soy sauce; stir until heated through, about 1 minute.
Place rice onto a plate or bowl, top with chicken mixture and voila: instant healthy! CHEERS!